He breeding stock should be chosen when they reach 4 to 5 weeks of age. The breeder should be chosen from the biggest litter. In males, it’s extremely critical to see the presence of two testicles in the scrotum as testicles descend down from the body cavity at 12 months of age.
- Extensive Sort of reproduction:-
Weaning here practiced is 5 to 6 weeks and re-breeding soon after weaning. Does are so mated once every 2.5 months.
- Semi intensive reproduction
Weaning is practised at 4-5 months old. Breeding is practised after 10-20 days after kindling.
- Intensive reproduction
Weaning is at 4 weeks old. Mating is done immediately after kindling. Usually this practise is followed in western nations.
Always females should be placed to the pencil of male to avoid fighting. Mating should be performed during coolest part of the day like early morning or late night. After successful mating the male usually generates a typical cry sound and falls down on one side of the female. Soon after the breeding the male one needs to be removed from the cage. The male should not be more than 3 to 4 days in a week and not more than 2 to 3 times in a day. Both genders should reach 70 percent of the adult body weight.
The breeding season is all but throughout year.
- They are spontaneous ovulators. Ovulation begins 10 hours after mating.
- In warmth, the female rabbit accepts male, otherwise it rejects.
- In warmth, the female assumes a typical pose known as”lordosis” in which the back is arched downward and hind quarter is raised.
- The female one in di-estrous phage crouch in the corner of the cage.
- After kindling (parturition), the re breeding occurs after one week in intensive management. But normally re-mating is revealed one week before weaning.
- When temperature rises above 36 degree centigrade, temporary sterility happens.